Thursday, September 12, 2013

The Tootsie Thief


The past couple of weeks have flown by! Last week my mentor came out to visit. The state has a mentor program and new teachers are assigned a mentor. He will come out to visit once a month. He was very nice and brought pistachios and smoked salmon. The smoked salmon was AMAZING! At first I didn’t know what to do with it and asked Meghan how to cook it. She politely informed me it was smoked so it was already cooked. Thank goodness I have her! I ate it with mashed potatoes and I couldn’t believe how good it was! Defiantly my favorite way to eat salmon! While he was visiting the class we were discussing a program to use in preschool while my students were silent reading. I had been giving them Tootsie Rolls for completed homework because homework is difficult to get back. I look over while they are supposed to be reading and see one of my students stuffing his pockets with Tootsie Rolls! It was like a scene out of a movie and it took everything I had to keep a straight face and not laugh. He looked like a deer in headlights, completely guilty with Tootsies spilling out of his pocket. Of course the antagonizer of the group was right next to him. He slowly took the Tootsies out of his pocket, put his hands in his pockets, and sulked over to me. He was so ashamed. A few minutes later a girl came over and asked to use the restroom. I asked what she was chewing and she just walked away and sat at her desk like she never asked me anything. Guilty? Needless to say the Tootsies are now stored in a secure place but it was a moment I’ll never forget.
I took Piper up to the airport to run off leash for the first time. She had been pulling out her tail so Andy suggested I let her run to let some energy out. I was nervous but Meghan brought Ash up too. She did awesome and came running every time I called her. I’ve been taking her up to run every night since and she has listened very well and isn’t pulling her tail out as often.
Last week I finished a book called The Arctic School Teacher. It was an excellent read and gave me a lot of insight into early teaching in Alaska. I can’t imagine being out here before cell phones, the internet, and Amazon Prime!
On Sunday I went to church. The pastor is one of my student’s father and a very nice man. At first we were the only two there and when he started it was still only me! Four other people wandered in throughout. It was a very nice service and I look forward to gong again this weekend.
In school this week I had my first two mini meetings. I was very nervous but overall I think they went well. I just need to slow down my talking. When I get nervous I talk fast so I need to work on that. It was also picture day yesterday, which was fun. I was surprised when he sat me down to take my picture!
Meghan brought over some of the jams we made. They are in my freezer and I keep taking them out to sample. They are VERY good. Much better than the plane berries.
Our school is doing a fundraiser selling Twin Hills School apparel. Pretty please support our school and buy your own apparel and have it shipped to you! http://twinhills.groupfundraisingstore.com  

Here are some pictures from the past couple of weeks. Enjoy!
The school
Piper loves running in the tundra
Sunset
My class
Moose antlers
The delicious smoked salmon
Bug patrol 
Piper in doggie heaven 
Moose antlers
Playing at the airport
The river
Faint rainbow
"I'm not pulling my tail out..."
"Can we please take this home, Mom?!"
Piper's friends come play at the airport with her
Geese

Church
Church

2 comments:

  1. Hi Megan,

    It's Donna. Kylie's Mom from Oakes K-9. I am enjoying reading all about your adventure. You are amazing!! Keep up the good work up there. I will be a very rewarding experience for you. One that will you will remember for the rest of your life.

    Take care,

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna! I think about you guys all the time! Thank you so much for the kind words! We can't wait to come back and go back to class. She turns one tomorrow, I can't believe it. Please tell everyone hello and that we miss them. Give Kylie a squeeze for me :)

      Delete