Tuesday, June 17, 2014

End of the Road

I'm sorry this post is so long overdue. I guess I have been dreading writing it because it is my last and final post of my Alaskan adventure. After getting to Anchorage Sunday night, Piper and I stayed at Bach's Bed and Breakfast for four nights. It was lovely there and Glenda was wonderful. Piper enjoyed the fenced in yard and we felt like we were at home. 

I decided to do some tours with Salmonberry Tours during my time in Anchorage. My first tour was a two hour city tour on Monday. 

Ship Creek

Earthquake Park

Float plane

Up at Flattop Mountain

View of Anchorage from Flattop

Wednesday I did the Turnagain Pass Tour with Salmonberry. This one was great! It was forest fire season in Alaska at this point so there was a lot of smoke beginning to blow around. 

First stop was Beluga Point. 

Those little white dots are big horn sheep!

 After Beluga Point we drove down the highway to get to Girdwood. 

 Alyeska Resort is in Girdwood and we went there to ride up the tramway. 


 More moose on the ride down!

 Then we had a delicious lunch at The Bake Shop!

After lunch we went to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center before heading home. 

That night Meghan, Andy, Libby, and the dogs got to Anchorage. Thursday morning we left for Homer!

We stopped to do the Portage Glacier Cruise on our way down. 

I also got to see the beautiful Kenai River. The water is turquoise! 

We drove through Soldotna where a huge forest fire was burning in the distance. 

Finally we were at Meghan and Andy's in Homer!

Friday, the day after we arrived we took Liberty to get her first shots and then took Piper to get her health certificate to fly. Then we went down to the Spit and walked around and shopped.

 The Time Bandit from the Deadliest Catch!

 The smoke finally cleared enough for me to see the view from Meghan and Andy's!

Andy and I went halibut fishing on Saturday with their friend Dave. I caught two halibut and reeled them in on my own! It was a lot of work but I did it! After I caught my fish I was seasick the rest of the day on the boat. It was a lot of fun though and I'm really glad I went! On our way to our fishing spot we passed tons of sea otters in the water. I couldn't get a picture of them because we were going too fast.

 Thank for capturing my seasick face Andy….

 Dave's fish he caught. I couldn't hold it up on my own it was so heavy!

 The two halibut I caught!

On our way home from fishing we saw a moose!

 And a stray dog Andy told me was a wolf...

This dog made itself comfortable in their garage that night and we ended up taking it to the shelter on Sunday. 

While driving to find the Kilcher Homestead we saw a moose on the side of the road!

 We found the Kilcher Homestead. These are the people on the show "Alaska The Last Frontier"
 Liberty gets lots of puppy kisses :)

Sunday evening we took a ferry to Halibut Cove which was BEAUTIFUL!

 Forget Me Nots the state flower

 Sea otter in the reflection of the mountain

When we got home that night there was a moose in the backyard...

Who had a calf that night! We were treated to this sight right before Meghan and I headed back to Anchorage. 

On our way back up the peninsula Meghan took our picture with some volcanoes in the background. 

Saying good bye to Meghan and Andy was so hard. I am going to miss them so much. Well, I already do! I gained a big brother and a big sister this year and I'm so thankful for them. Homer is known as the end of the road and was the perfect place to end my Alaskan adventure. Piper and I flew to Seattle, spent the night, and then flew to Philly with Marisa and her dog Macy. I was so happy to see my mom and dad! They had a welcome home party for me that Saturday. I am glad to be home but I miss Twin Hills and the wonderful people I met there everyday. 

Mom at the airport waiting for me 

Thank you/guyana to everyone who followed my blog and supported me through my time in Alaska. It was an experience I will never forget. 

No comments:

Post a Comment